Building Blocks to Peer Success: A toolkit for training HIV-positive peers to engage PLWHA in care
Authors: Multiple authors from American Red Cross, BU SPH, Center for Health Training, Columbia University, Harlem Hospital, JRI, Kansas City Free Health Clinic, WORLD
Project: PEER Center
Curriculo en español
Purpose of this toolkit: to support the training of HIV-positive peers who work to engage and retain people living with HIV in health care.
Primary audiences: experienced trainers and training organizations who can use this toolkit to design, enhance or refine their own training of peers.
Additional uses: Peer supervisors or program directors can use this toolkit to plan a peer training program for newly hired peers or provide continuing education for existing peers.
For an additional 5-day peer training curriculum from the MAI SPNS project, which builds on this toolkit:
Preparing Peers for Success: Peer Core Competency Training for Engaging Out-of-Care or Newly Diagnosed People Living with HIV in Care and Treatment
- Toolkit Guide PDF (7.51 MB)
- Toolkit Modules: Core Competencies: HIV PDF (5.37 MB)
- Toolkit Modules: Core Competencies: Communication Skills PDF (3.97 MB)
- Toolkit Modules: Core Competencies: Peer Role I: What is a Peer? Workplace issues | Stages of Change | Disclosure PDF (3.66 MB)
- Toolkit Modules: Core Competencies: Peer Role II:Multidisciplinary Team | Navigating the system | Self-Care | Are You Ready to Be a Peer? PDF (1.99 MB)
- Activities--Intros, Energizers, Icebreakers, and Closure PDF (799.54 kB)
- Case Studies and Scenarios PDF (227.11 kB)
- Continuing Education: Frequently Requested Topics, Health-Related Topics, Special Populations PDF (9.68 MB)